The Master of Divinity program is to form effective servant-pastors in various ministry and cultural settings anywhere in the world so that missional churches may be built up.
Program Learning Outcomes
I. Being: Maturing in spirituality and character
- Demonstration of spiritual maturity of deepening relationship with Christ
- Ability of adequate self-reflection and healthy interpersonal relationships
- Demonstration of genuine humility and servant spirit with emotional stability
- Observable passion for evangelism and global missions.
II. Proclaiming: Impacting lives by proclaiming truths that are biblically and theologically sound
- Demonstration of skills for personal evangelism and outreach ministry.
- Demonstration of ability to preach spiritually inspiring expository sermons and design effective teaching materials
- Demonstration of biblical accuracy, theological discernment, spiritual insights, and cultural awareness in one’s proclamation
III. Shepherding: Caring and building up lives
- Demonstration of basic counseling skills with understanding of human emotions, human development, and family dynamics
- Demonstration of skills to do individual or group discipleship
IV. Leadership: Leading and shaping an orderly ministry
- Demonstration of ability to formulate mission/vision statements and to make mission/goal-oriented strategic and action plans
- Demonstration of servant-leadership skills in the context of teamwork
- Demonstration of ability to mobilize global mission ministry
- A bachelor or higher degree from an accredited four-year university or seminary with a GPA of 2.67 (B- or 80%) or above.
- Had been converted, and baptized for at least three years, with a clear calling or the commitment to full-time ministry.
- A demonstration of maturity in personal and spiritual life, with two recommendations from church pastors or leaders. (Applicants in Mainland China must have at least one overseas referee and one church pastor to make recommendations).
- The ability to understand Mandarin.
- Proof of English proficiency is required. Minimum TOEFL score of 470 / 52 (TOEFL iBT). Or IELTS with a score of 5.5. (TOEFL and IELTS valid scores are only limited to two years, more than two years must be retaken) (Applicants with a Bachelor or higher degree from English speaking schools; or those who have lived in North America for more than 20 years are exempt from this requirement.)
The program must be completed between 3 years to 7 years. Students may petition to extend their studies for one more year. All courses are available online either synchronously or asynchronously.
Core Axis: Spiritual and Character Formation (3 units)
Spiritual Formation course (one 3-unit course + co-curricular requirements)
Stage One: Foundational Knowledge and Skills (13 courses, 37 units)
- Theology Overview (3)
- Library Research Methods (1)
- Bible (24)
- Biblical Interpretation (3)
- OT Survey I, II, III, IV (12)
- NT Survey I, II (6)
- OT Theology / NT Theology / Single Bible Book (3)
- History (3)
- Church History (3)
- Exegesis (6)
- Practical Hebrew (3), Practical Greek (3)
Stage Two: Ministerial Integration (3 course-clusters; 12 courses, 4 Field Ed, 1 capstone, 35 units)
- Proclaiming: (12)
- Preaching I, II (6)
- Soteriology & Personal Evangelism (3)
- Intro. Missiology + Short-term Missionary Internship (3)
- Shepherding: (12)
- Pneumatology, Sanctification & Discipleship (3)
- Intro. Christian Formation (3)
- Counseling I, II (4)
- Pastoral Ethics (2)
- Leadership: (10)
- Ecclesiology (2)
- Strategic Ministry Leadership (3)
- 2 semesters of Pastoral Internships (2) + other field ed activities
- Asian American Ministry (3) / Chinese Church History (3)
- Summer Pastoral Internship (0)
Capstone – Integration projects (1)
Electives (10 units)
TOTAL 85 units
Church Life and Field Education
Students are required, with the exception of the first semester, to participate in local church activities and to receive field education in local churches or para-church organizations. The purpose is to prepare students for future full-time ministry by getting acquainted with their population of ministry and the operations of the church or organization. Students may request help from the Field Education Supervisor in locating internship possibilities.
- Transfer students from our school or theological school with ATS or ATA accreditation, with a GPA of 3.00 (B or 83.5%) may apply to transfer to our M. Div. Program.
- Students enrolled in M.A.C.S. M.A.F.M. and M.A.I.C.S. program may apply to transfer to the M.Div. program only after 1 year of study (24 credits or more). The students must fill out the application form and pay the required fee. The transference must be approved by the admission committee after interview, at least one semester before graduation.
- For other transference please refer to Scholastic Regulations.
- Complete 85 semester units with a GPA of at least 2.0 (C or 75%).
- Fulfill the Field Education requirement.
- Attend the seminary retreat at least once during the program.
- Obtain academic clearance.
- Students who have three or less credit units remaining towards completion of the degree program may still attend the annual commencement. Such students must show proof of registration for the remaining units in the following summer term.