Living in the U.S.

  • Health Insurance
    Proof of health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students.
    You will be asked to provide proof of current health insurance coverage during your registration.
    You may pick up the insurance brochure at the International Students Office.  Due to the complication of health insurance plan, please contact the agent and review each company’s benefits package before purchasing a medical insurance plan.

  • Maintaining of Status

    It is extremely important for a nonimmigrant student to maintain his/her status while in the United States.  Failure to maintain the terms and conditions may subject to loss of F-1 status and deportation from U.S.
    -Keep Form I-20 valid
    -Keep your passport valid for six months into the future
    -Maintain full time study during every semester, unless approved under specific exception, in advance, by DSO.
    -Keep good academic standing and make normal progress towards the completion of your program
    -Notify the International Students Office of address change within 10 days
    -File timely requests for extension of stay, transfer, and optional practical training.
    -Do not work off-campus without proper authorization
    -Obey all state and federal laws
    -Depart from the U.S. in a timely manner

  • F-2 Dependents

    -F-2 may not accept employment under any circumstances.
    -F-2 spouse may not engage in full time study. Should F-2 spouse wishes to engage in full time study, he/she must apply for change of status to F-1.
    -F-2 children may only engage in full time study at the K-12 level.

  • Travel and Reentry

    -A valid passport for at least six months after the date of reentry.
    -A valid F-1 visa (If your visa stamp has expired, you must renew your visa before you may return to the U.S.)
    -Form I-20 properly endorsed by school DSO.  To get your travel signature please bring your I-20 to the International Student Office two weeks prior your trip.
    -Always return with proper F-1 status.
    -Your SEVIS I-20 will be cancelled if you absence from the United States more than 5 months.

    Documents to bring with you for any international travel
    Please always hand-carry your documents, do not put them in your checked in luggage.  If your luggage is lost or delayed, you will not be able to present the documents at the port of entry. As a result, you might not be able to enter the United States.

    The following documents should be hand-carried with you when arriving to the U.S.:
    1. Passport with valid visa
    2. SEVIS Form I-20.
    3. Affidavit of support; bank statement, sponsoring letter, etc.
    4. Evidence of student status, such as recent tuition receipts, transcripts and acceptance lettter.
    5. Receipt for the SEVIS fee, Form I-797
    6. Name and contact information for your “Designated School Official”, including a 24-hour emergency contact number at the school.

  • Grace period for after program completion date
    An F-1 student who has completed a course of study and any authorized practical training following completion of studies will be allowed an additional an additional 60-day period to prepare for departure from the United States or to transfer to other SEVIS-approved school.
    – No employment is permitted during the 60-day grace period.
    – The 60-day period cannot be used to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad.